info mooring Pogo 8.50

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Hello everyone,

I am the proud owner of an 8.50 pogo based in Port Laforêt … i’m looking for a system that allows me to easily raise my mooring without too much trouble … what are your tips?

Thank you all and good luck!

Dominique

Jean-Michel (Leah)
    Participant

Hello

Unfortunately no tip to share as I’m asking myself the same questions and thinking of installing a small davit on the other side of the outboard end. I installed a Spade 9.5kg 30m of 8mm chain. Not yet tested as I prefer chests… I even considered a manual windlass but hey, it’s heavy for our little boat… 🤪

Gérard (POGOYELO)
      Participant

Hello,
        Personally, I don’t have an improved mooring system, I even have the original one, which is the “flying” davit that you attach to the bow pulpit. I’ve considered a removable davit fixed to the bow on demand, but I haven’t taken the plunge as I don’t do much anchoring these days.
        I remember having seen on the net the fitting of a vertical axis windlass adapted or adaptable to a Pogo 850. I’ll look for it and if I find it I’ll post it on this forum.
        Sorry for my unconstructive reply,

Bonne nav,

Gérard

Benoît
        Participant

No real tricks, just a few precautions: always pass the anchor over the mobile roller (davit) to anchor or leave the anchorage, have a bow fender, raise the anchorage with your legs rather than your arms, with the help of the engine (not too much) and the chop, set the anchor hanging low in the water before spinning the anchor.
          My anchor is a Lewmar Delta (the FOB THP delivered with the boat slipped too easily the first year) with the original anchor line (17m of 8mm chain and 30m of cable), it held in 30 knots of wind and 3m of water in Corsica.
          I also have a Fortress with 30m of leaded cable for short-term mooring.
          Caution: especially in light airs, the boat avoids rough seas in a way that is quite different from standard production boats, so keep some margin.

If possible, have a young person lift the anchor (I’m 75)!
          best regards,
          Jean-François Perrouty, Saint Damien, Toulon

Emmanuel (Dranga)
          Participant

Hello,

We published an article on the site about fitting a windlass on the Pogo 8.50, written by a member who has since asked me to delete his account, having sold his boat:

https://www.assopogo.net/un-guindeau-sur-le-pogo-8-50/

In the absence of a windlass, a light anchor like the 7kg aluminum squade is very effective, and that’s what I have on my Pogo 10.50. To reduce the weight of the chain, you can use grade 70 in 6mm (0.82kg/m), which is probably sufficient for a Pogo 8.50: 25m (or even 40m) plus rope, it allows you to see ahead.

Gérard (POGOYELO)
            Participant

Emmanuel found the article I was referring to, thanks to him.

I also found an assembly on Pogo 850 where the windlass is housed in the anchor locker, here is the link to access it:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/voilieravendre/permalink/1052458758488366/

Good luck to Dominique

Emmanuel (Dranga)
              Participant

I should add that in the comments to the article https://www.assopogo.net/un-guindeau-sur-le-pogo-8-50/, there’s a link to 5 photos of an even different windlass installation.

Jean-Michel (Leah)
                Participant

Thank you all, very informative 🙂
                  Have a nice sunny weekend
                  jm

Hello Dominique,

Like you, I own an 8.50 pogo based in Concarneau.

i find it difficult to raise the anchor and also to pass it between the balcony and the forestay,

i haven’t looked into a more practical system, as I don’t usually stay at anchor for very long (fear of hunting…)

the best trick I found was to get my cousin on board! He’s a great help.

Happy sailing Dominique, maybe we’ll meet on the water (my boat is red, it’s called Bigorn’ô)

Danièle

Michel (Kikiwi)
                  Participant

I also use my muscular little arms, but when you’re solo at anchor, anything over 10 knots becomes sporty. Same recommendations, protect the bow. Spade anchor 10 kg, with chain 6, recommended by Spade. It slips less than the 14 kg FOB with 8 chain from before. I also have an aluminum anchor with cable (for regattas when you really need it).

if anyone has a miracle solution, not heavy, easy, let us know..

Thierry (Lou Wan)
                    Participant

Hello,

There’s no miracle solution, but a word of advice: pull up the anchor slowly, finally getting quite far from the bow. It works pretty well. Obviously, the engine is on and not engaged :-). If there’s a lot of wind, you can temporarily double the anchor with a light anchor with a weighted end, which is very easy to raise once the main anchor is up.

Elboig
                      Participant

Hello

Me on Babar, here’s my gear.

– fixed forceps

– 1 FOB THP 10 kg anchor in the bail

– 27m of 8″ chain

– 30m cable

– a 12kg Kobra 2 in the rear trunk, which I use to replace the other one when I know the wind is going to be strong.

The boat is in Greece, and I sailed for over 4 months in 2020 to get it there, which means a lot of anchorages.

But I’d like to install a manual windlass with winch. I had this before on my old first 32 and it’s perfect. I’m thinking of installing it just to the right of the forestay attachment.

What do you think?

http://www.babarlebateau.com

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.