Butt wear

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Benoît
    Participant

The plastic part from which the spinnaker tack comes out is a wear part (40€ at the shipyard). It’s normal for it to wear out, but it’s a bit heavy to replace.

Here’s a tutorial:

Thank you for this diagram.

I would like a small clarification about the green end of the bowsprit. Is it really 8 mm diameter, as indicated on this document, because mine (on board Onfekomonadi, hull no. 45, built in 2015) is 12 mm diameter and it’s hard to get it through the clamp… I’d gladly use ø 8 or 10!

Xavier (X-RAY)
      Participant

My green tip is also oversized. But when you armor your tip out too hard, you never miss! Fortunately, this tip is the shortest of all…

Taking a closer look at the XTS blocker, I discover that the cam installed is part number 0810, i.e. a cam designed for 6 to 10 mm ropes. So it’s no surprise that the green rope, which is 12 mm, doesn’t go through easily! Was this an assembly error on my boat alone, or a general error on the part of the shipyard, which supplies and assembles a locking device with cam 0610 when there are two other cam references, 0814 or 1216, better suited to ø12?

I confirm that I’d be interested to know the diameter of the bowsprit vang (the green bowsprit!) on each of your boats: 8 mm as on the diagram published by Benoît, 12 mm as on my boat, or 10 mm, which should more than suffice as a sample..

Thanks!

Xavier (Moana)
        Participant

I can confirm that on the 2016 MOANA the green end of the bowsprit is 12 mm and the XTS blocker is fitted with an 0810 cam. I’m actually thinking of changing it to 8 or 10 mm …

Xavier (X-RAY)
          Participant

On X-RAY, the green rope is a 12 and so is the 12 blocker. The two other 12 mm blockers for the mainsail and genoa have been replaced by constrictors which don’t damage the ropes.
            Reducing the size of the furling line, which has to be armored, would not necessarily be a good idea.
            Kind regards

Hello,
            On a chart provided by the shipyard in 2021 (which I would gladly join if I knew how…), the green bowsprit is specified as 10 mm (entitled: BDO Sorteur, Liros reference: Racer 02001-086, material: Dyneema with polyester core).
            So I’ve already replaced my 12mm rope with a 10 and I’m delighted to be able to manoeuvre this rope with ease.
            I’m not too worried about this reduction in diameter, given that the breaking load announced for 10 mm is 5 tons (and therefore around 2.5 tons at maximum working load, i.e. much more than the SWL (safe working load) of the Spinlock XTS 0610/1 rope clamp, which is 700 kg…)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.