Diesel tank

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

After a year of – slightly shortened – sailing on my Pogo 30, I find the diesel level in the tank under the cockpit hard to read.

I started with a calibration, marking 10 liters every 8 cm.

But reading the level is still difficult in the semi-darkness under the cockpit (and the lighting strip doesn’t really help).

Currently, the best improvement I’ve found is to slide a cell phone with its LED light on behind the tank, which makes it easy to see the level.

To make this solution permanent, I’m thinking of attaching a light strip behind the tank and switching it on with a push-button (to prevent it staying lit…).

Has anyone experimented with a better or simpler technique for easily assessing the tank level?

Benoît
    Participant

Hello François,

I’ve just sold my boat and hadn’t asked myself this question. You can also ask it on the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/236234623717224/

Have you considered installing a sensor?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Assopogo.
      • This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Assopogo.
      Xavier (X-RAY)
      Participant

Hello François,

Basically, I filled the tank in ten-liter increments. The forward and aft lines indicate that the boat’s trim is not horizontal or that, in my case, the tank is tilted forward. Perhaps so that the suction hose is always submerged?

Two comments: it’s a good idea not to fill the tank completely (between 55 and 60l), as the slightest roll will cause the vent next to the clutch lever to overflow and the starboard stern to be covered with oil gas. Having had the unfortunate experience once in Spain, with three liters the engine didn’t defuse… That’s pretty reassuring!

The nice little light strip above the fuel tank doesn’t make it easy to see the level and the strokes. I found a solution by leaving a flashlight permanently positioned alongside the tank. Effective.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.