Navigation electronics

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jean-Michel (Leah)
    Participant

Hello everyone,

Following the recent purchase of my 8.50, I wanted to share with the community my choice of electronic equipment for navigation aids.

Like many units, my boat is equipped with a NKE cruising pack with L&S pilot.
      Following my meeting with the manufacturer at Nautic, I learned that they can refit these units, on request.

After agreement and shipment to Hennebont, it’s done (see before/after picture), my displays are like new, great job!
      For your information, prices: approx. 150€ for a new case with new cable, and double that if the screen is replaced with a new cable case.

I’m also attaching the wiring diagram I’m working on for your information.
      I chose an AIT5000 https://digitalyacht.fr/produit/ait5000/ as the central element for multiplexing data from my NKE control unit, AIS and GPS/GLONASS, and for its VHF antenna splitter function.

I plan to retrieve all this on my iPad in Weather4D, with the option of connecting directly to the NKE Box via wifi (by changing the access point), thanks to the NKE Display Pro App.

Well, that’s all theory, and I can’t wait to get down to the nitty-gritty, so I’ll keep you posted. If you have any feedback on this equipment, I’d love to hear from you 🙂

Best regards,
      jm

Avant

Emmanuel (Dranga)
      Participant

Hello Jean-Michel,

I’m surprised that there are two NMEA wifi data transmitters. What does the NKE box do for you? You were supposed to be able to wire the NKE control unit to the DigitalYacht transmitter

Best regards,

Emmanuel

Jean-Michel (Leah)
        Participant

Good evening Emmanuel,

The NKE Wifi box is indeed wired to the DY transponder 🙂
          A few years ago, NKE marketed an NMEA-only output box, without wifi (photo). The only way to go from the proprietary topline to NMEA is with a Wifi/NMEA in and out box. I’ve also seen a new Ethernet box (without Wifi) in the 2020 catalog.
          That said, having Wifi on the box allows me to connect to it directly via the NKE App from an iPhone (or other iPad), without opening W4D or allowing a crew member who has stayed in the saloon to have a repeater display of nav data.
          What I can’t wait to try out is sending commands to the pilot from W4D… although I’d prefer to keep control of that… 🙂
          Best regards
          jm

Emmanuel (Dranga)
          Participant

Hello Jean-Michel,

Yes, that’s the component I have on board. I didn’t know it was no longer in the catalog, but it’s a bit logical in the end, it’s not very complicated to add a wifi module. The price is higher: I paid less than 300€ HT in 2011, the NKE box is 470€, but it solves the problem of connection to the PC, I had to buy a USB multiplexer.

Best regards

Emmanuel

Jean-Michel (Leah)
            Participant

Hello Emmanuel,

Today, the miniaturization of components has led to the birth of real Swiss Army knives like the AIT5000, which even has an NMEA2000 connector in addition to the rest, and multiplexing of data in and out by wire and Wifi.
              Before, when I rented, I had a Nomad transponder and an SPL2000 antenna splitter from DY.
              The AIT5000 combines these two functions and transmits/receives at 5W instead of 2W for the Nomad.
              It’s quite expensive, but there were special offers at Nautic… 🙂
              I really like this English brand Digital Yachts, and the French after-sales service is top-notch. Transponders are programmed using a small utility on Mac or PC. It’s even possible to overwrite the MMSI yourself (PC only) in case of error or resale.
              Have a nice evening,

jm

Patrick (Cappricio)
              Participant

Hello Jean Michel

I’m interested in a refit of my appliances, on the pogo I just bought.

Please give me the name and address of the person to contact in Hennebont

Sincerely

Patrick

Jean-Michel (Leah)
                Participant

Hello Patrick

Welcome to you 👍

Yes, it’s Joël Bars on 02 97 85 64 19

Once they’ve received your appliance, they’ll give you a quote as quickly as possible.

Have a nice day!

jm

Patrick (Cappricio)
                  Participant

Good evening
                    Thank you for your late reply. Here are the new prices
                    A Gyropilot Graphic box change is about 155 € HT, a display change is 412 € HT (includes the new box)
                    I’ll do it in the off-season
                    Sincerely
                    Patrick

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.