low prop

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Spoon
    Participant

Hello, I’m tidying up the rigging of our Spoon, recently acquired and pampered as it should be. Regarding the lower forestay, I’m wondering about the solution proposed by the shipyard (owner’s manual): “the lower forestay is tensioned using the boom vang tackle, which is hit on the folding chainplate located aft of the anchor locker… It is possible to send the storm jib (or equivalent sail, depending on the configuration) to the forestay using the spinnaker pole topping lift.” If I’m not mistaken, the chainplate in question is simply attached to the deck by three bolts with nuts… The fiberglass may be slightly reinforced but nothing more (no “serious” reinforcement, bow pull or anything else). This seems to me to be very light in view of the forces at play when conditions justify sending out a stormjib, let alone a solent or staysail… What’s more, the two strands of the boom vang tackle are not routed to the pianos (and winches) but simply to two small wedges on the sides of the coachroof…In short, I’m puzzled 😕 all the more so as I notice a slight crackling of the gel-coat near the chainplate! Does anyone have an informed opinion on the matter? Has anyone reinforced the chainplate? Thanks in advance!

I reply with great delay. My Pogo is 10 years old this year and has sailed quite a bit. I sent an ORC to reef (acting as tormentIn. Nothing moved and I did nothing.

These two strands are still used for the spinnaker pole vang, on which there’s also quite a bit of pressure when the spinnaker is set at 20N.

Christian

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.